06 January 2006

WHAT IS IT TO BE ENGLISH?

© daily drew drawings
In an attempt to analyse and understand what makes me act the way I do as opposed to acting in any Continental sort of way (in short what makes me English) I am currently reading a very funny and insightful book about the hidden rules of English behaviour. And believe me, they are many and convolutedly subtle! One passage is particularly relevant since it relates to where we are now:

“The Internet – the whole thing could have been invented for the insular, socially-handicapped, word-loving English. In cyberspace we are in our element: a world of disembodied words. No need to worry about what to wear, whether to make eye contact, whether to shake hands or kiss cheeks or just smile. No awkward pauses or embarrassing false starts; no need to fill uncomfortable silences with weather-speak; no polite procrastinating or tea-making or other displacement activity; no need for the usual prolonged goodbyes. Nothing physical, no actual corporeal human beings to deal with at all. Just written words. Our favourite thing.”

Uh-oh! Maybe I’d better go and brush up my social skills but first I’ll just do a bit more reading while having a nice cup of tea!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger