03 December 2005

GENDER CONFUSION

I’ve been learning French for more years than I care to remember but one of the things I still can’t quite get the hang of is masculine and feminine. In terms of nouns, I mean. Okay, I know the general rule that if it ends in a vowel it’s usually feminine and if it ends in a consonant, it ought to be masculine but still it defies commonsense to call things ‘a male book’ or ‘a lady apple’! So, every time I ask for ‘un baguette’ I nearly end up with several of the damn things, it, of course, being UNE baguette. On the other hand, it never ceases to amaze me that I actually get what I want when you take into account my sometimes questionable vocabulary and funny accent! However, I sometimes suspect that they change gender on a whim just to fox me. Oh hold on, some men in white coats have just arrived …

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

french is difficult, and seing srangers making the effort to speak in our language is quite something, especially when you know that french people hardly speak other languages... and ruin english... :P
don't worry, except for gaylord, everyone understands you!
hope to see you soon in jean bouin
lots of love

7:20 pm  
Blogger yatje said...

Ah myoo, you are too kind! But then your English is perfect! Anyway, I'll be there on the 17th against Clermont so will see you either in the Virage or les Princes or le Stade. See you soon! Take care. love, yatje xx

8:47 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger