07 August 2008

BLOOD

© blood.co.uk
Blood donation time is here again and today was a more interesting experience than usual. As I lay there, watching the blood leave my arm, I noticed that near the needle draining my arm, my chosen vein was deflating momentarily and then re-inflating again. The phlebotomist informed me that this was the valve opening to let the blood pass and then closing to stop it flowing back, away from my lungs and ultimately my heart. We went on to discuss how the kidneys would now be aware that there was less oxygen in my system and would, even as we spoke, be secreting their hormones to encourage the body to make more red blood cells to counteract this lack. Alas, all too soon, my pint bag was full of this wonderful life-giving liquid but we both agreed that bodies are amazing things. Then it was off to reward this amazing body of mine with free biscuits!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger