10 September 2007

RWC - I

Having spent the week desperately trying to recover from some horrid bug, the week-end didn’t start too promisingly and it was actually debatable whether I would make it down to Marseille. But being the determined yatje I am, and not wanting to miss out on any exciting World Cup action (especially when Mirco’s in the team), off I flew. The opening night was remarkable, to say the least, with an upset for France, who were fair and squarely beaten by Argentina. Even watching it in the hotel, the wretchedness was palpable.
Anyway, no time to dwell on that defeat, onto the next match: Italy against New Zealand. I have never been to Marseille before and was wondering whether all the rumours I’d heard about it and its people were actually true. Yes, the town is a little scruffy and I can definitely confirm that it is HOT! However, the Marseillais are not even half as rude or unhelpful, or even as undecipherable in their accents, as one would have you believe.
As for the match, the rumours about the All Blacks are true: the Haka is quite scary and those boys are awesomely quick and clinical. They also play on the edge of the rules a little bit. However, two positives at least from the game: Mirco scored a try! And he has a lovely tidy new haircut.
So, all in all, quite a good first week-end of the World Cup with lots to look forward to and a feeling that anything could happen, maybe even England pulling their socks up. Oh, and I was even able to get the new Dieux du Stade calendar ;p

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger