30 April 2007

THE CITY OF A HUNDRED STEEPLES

I spent a wonderful week-end in Poitiers (which is not just ‘Futuroscope’, which I didn't visit). In fact, it is a very old city (founded in the 4th century). It also seems to have an inordinate amount of churches (including a Notre Dame). And it is built on the top of a very steep hill (rising to 144 metres) on a promontory between two rivers (the Boivre and the Clain). As you can see, my guide was very knowledgeable. And I discovered some wonderful regional delicacies (macaroons, honey and chabichous were my particular favourites). Thank goodness we did a lot of walking is all I can say.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I thought Rouen was "la ville aux cent clochers"? Actually, they also say that of Dijon, Montreal and Prague...

7:57 am  
Blogger yatje said...

Ah, well, 'they' probably say this about every city with more than one steeple; this is the REAL city with the 100 steeples, I counted .. ;p

1:51 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger