20 February 2007

PHEW, SOMETHING OTHER THAN RUGBY ..

© rfi.fr

Thanks to my trusty UGC card, I’ve become very French and have been going to the cinema an awful lot: whenever, wherever, to see whatever I like, however many times I like. And at the risk of sounding like one of those critics, these are my thoughts on some of the films I’ve seen recently:

Les Filles du Botaniste a lovely film, poetic as these oriental films sometimes are but a harsh, cruel ending.
Babel definitely not a feel-good film, at times I found it quite harrowing, at others most unlikely, and I had little sympathy for Brad and Cate.
Cashback a quite ordinary story which mixes beauty and banality in a very English way.
Angel-A I always love black and white films and being set in Paris, the background scenery is really wonderful although it has a completely absurd plot.
Black Book caricatured and uninspired, the most interesting thing was the actors speaking in Dutch.
Harold Crick all I can say about this film is that even if you just watched the trailer and the ending, that would be enough.
Grain in Ear although I saw this film in England, it still had those ubiquitous subtitles I've now got used to seeing, but it was well worth it, if a little esoteric.
La vie des autres touching film dealing with the Stasi big brother in East Germany.
La Môme about the life of Edith Piaf, great film (I’ll forgive some of the annoyingly ‘arty’ shots) and, evidently, brilliant music .. non, rien de rien ..

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey hun,
Thanx for all the film reviews! Have been to see Charlotte's Web (dumb) and Blood Diamond (which I really enjoyed). Off skiing this weekend (woohoo) in -26 degrees (not so woohoo).
BK
Najni

9:46 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger