04 November 2006

A FOR ANCESTRAL

I think you know you’re getting old when you start mis-hearing things. Last night, during introductions to friends I hadn’t met before, there arose some confusion when I was introduced with what my ears heard as ‘une amie en sète’. While I was puzzling as to what this might mean (it has no meaning at all by the way), the person to whom I had been introduced had heard something QUITE different. I then noticed that they were looking quite quizzically at my tummy and hips and saying ‘Well, you wouldn’t know’. Thank goodness, my friend stepped in to prevent any further embarrassment by explaining that she had in fact introduced me as ‘une amie ancêtre’ (very old/ancestral friend) and not ‘une amie enceinte’ (pregnant friend). Oh, the hazards of foreign languages!

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you made my day!!!! this was already funny during the evening, it's becomming even more when you write it down!!! Thank you very much for being there anyway, my ancestral friend!!!

9:28 am  
Blogger yatje said...

Yes, I'm still giggling about it even now! ;p Thanks for a lovely evening! It was such fun (and not just because of this joke!)

12:06 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger