21 April 2006

SALISBURY AND STONEHENGE

Continuing on the 'playing the tourist in my own country' theme, we set off to visit Salisbury and Stonehenge. I always love going to this part of Britain since I was born very near to Stonehenge and consider it a spiritual home. I might add I was born in the same hospital as James Blunt - sorry, it's my only claim to fame. Apart from hugging Mirco. Oh, and I've met the Queen. And Robin Cook shook hands quite vigourously with me once ;)

For once, we didn't have to get up with the dawn chorus which luckily gave me the chance to catch up with my special friend 'anon'. Keep taking those herbs and get better soon 'anon' :)

Anyway, Stonehenge stands on the very exposed Salisbury Plain and so, this being a spring day in England, it was naturally rather windy. Although Emmanuel is blending in quite well at being English (saying 'sorry' a lot, helping old ladies, drinking tea and listening to the The Archers), he still hasn't cottoned on to carrying both sunglasses and an umbrella and wrapping up warmly on a spring day. Nevertheless, we dutifully made our way around the tethered pathway listening to the audio guides and admiring the ancient stones.

Nearby is the little-known Woodhenge but, as it is very old, all the wood has rotted away and had to be replaced by concrete marker posts. Not quite as impressive as the stones, I'm afraid.

We then headed to nearby Salisbury and wandered by the river Avon via the famous cathedral and market square, feeling very at home.

We made our way back for our sunset visit to Stonehenge where we were allowed to get up close to the stones and even 'hug' them if we wanted to according the the custodians. On the photos, Emmanuel can be seen looking rather sceptical at this new 'hugging' experience but it was a very moving (if nippy) experience.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger