01 March 2006

PRINUNSEEASHUN

© daily drew drawings

One thing that’s funny about French pronunciation is that they seem to drop the ‘h’ when they should pronounce it and put one in when they shouldn’t. Thus, I often hear this:

’Ello, ’ow are you? I ham good. :)

And, it takes a great strength of will to stop myself giggling when I hear them reciting the vowels! Repeat after me: ‘hay, hee, hi, ho, hou’. Oh, forgive me, for I am a wicked English teacher!

postscript: It has come to my attention that there has been a slight criticism regarding my beginning of a sentence with a conjunction. To this didactic armchair grammarian, I would point out that, as an English teacher, I can do what I like in the furtherance of English language evolution and, therefore, my 'And', although closely linked to the previous clause was, in fact, a premeditated afterthought.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm thinking about taking offence at being described as a 'didactic armchair grammarian', but, let's face it, I'll need to get out the dictionary first.

A little while ago an English teacher was interviewed on Radio 4 complaining that he, and the other teachers that he represented, were being 'invisible-ised'. You lot really can do what you like, can't you?

4:51 pm  
Blogger yatje said...

Yeah, we can even inventify new words if we want! We'll do anything to get people to noticise us! In fact, we're a bit like George Bush in both respects. But obviously a lot less dangerous.

But ooh, get you listening to Radio 4! You'll be teaching English next! ;)

6:04 pm  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I might listen to Radio 4 but I don't understand it. I find it hard enough keeping on top of real words without all these disgruntled English teachers inventicising new ones.

10:46 am  
Blogger yatje said...

Ah, these pesky words, they just won't be controlled, will they? But you have to agreemitise that it's so much more fun with pretend - as opposed to real - words!

with love from an undisgruntled English teacher :)

BTW, I myself am listening to Radio 4 at this very moment ...

10:32 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger