23 March 2006

ANOTHER WORLD

So far, living in the fairly safe XIVth arrondissement, I’ve managed to miss any really close contact with the demonstrations against the CPE. However, tonight as I was wending my way quite tranquillement around the neighbourhood on one of my nocturnal bike rides, I came across quite a different side of Paris from the one I normally see at night. Actually, I heard them before I saw them, a sort of rumbling in the distance, and as I approached the Luxembourg Gardens, I became aware that every pedestrian was heading in the opposite direction to me. Then about 50 riot police, all beating their truncheons rhythmically against their shields, and all lined up along the width of the road, were marching down on me. I tucked into the nearest door front. There were no eggs, no shouting, no throwing of things, but it was still mesmerising to watch.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger