17 June 2005

THE END OF THE SEASON

Well it’s the end of the main rugby season and my favourite team, Stade Français, suffered a very hard blow the other week-end – they lost the final of the Top 16. Two weeks before this they lost the final of the H-Cup. So I’ve begun this blog to take my mind off these indigestible facts and to stop myself moping about and generally getting on everyone’s nerves.

Rugby will be a large part of this blog, not English rugby (even though I am an English girl) but French rugby and Parisian rugby in particular, and Mirco Bergamasco and his team-mates specifically, since this team is a passion for me and I am glad to be part of their big rugby family. Of course, the VI Nations will feature in the autumn when I revert to my native inclinations and sing ‘swing low sweet chariot’ (but even then there is admittedly a special fondness for Italy even when they are playing England). But for most of the time it will be my girlie ramblings about Stade Français and their accomplishments sur le terrain.

In the meantime I am also waiting patiently for the French authorities to tell me where they are going to send me to teach for the next academic year. So I’m hoping that this blog will chronicle my adventures of ‘yatje in Paris’: this being the preliminary stage, the English part.

So while I’m waiting for la rentrée, I’m studying herbalism, this is my foundation year and I’m nearing the end of it. I’ve yet to decide if this is what I really want to do as a career. I know I would eventually like to teach herbalism once I’ve amassed a great deal of knowledge about the whole materia medica and its uses and am the oracle on all things herbal. However, as this won’t be for quite some time yet, I’ve decided to dedicate myself to helping Parisians to speak English correctly. And herbalism and teaching abroad in Paris seem to combine most of my passions in one big melting pot – gardening, art, meeting new friends, red wine, literature, rugby. What more could a girl wish for?

It’s going to be three long months until the Top 16 begins again in August but never mind, there’s always the Lions Tour ;-/ and the very excellent: www.stade.fr

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger